Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Monday, June 4, 2012

June 4-7 1942 the Battle of Midway

70 years ago, a decisive battle was fought in the pacific.  Until this point the Japanese had free range in the pacific, with the inconclusive battle fought in the Coral Sea in may, the advantage and experience still lay with the Japanese.   Here is a link for the battle of Midway.

    I also have a link for the plane that is immortalized in that battle that I had posted a while back.
    



Historical moment

I am a student of history and what got me interested in history was the battle of midway,  it lasted from June the 4 1942 until June 6 1942.  I will not post any major details except when it was done, the power has shifted in the pacific war.  After Midway Japan never had a victory until the end of the war.  The biggest loss for the japanese besides 4 first line carriers was the loss to her aviation arm, the level of experience that went down when those carriers sank, they never recovered.






  We lost the U.S.S. Yorktown and a destroyer The U.S.S. Hammond that was tied up alongside to aid in the firefighting effort when a Japanese Submarine put a torpedo into her going for the Yorktown.
.

   My favorite movie was of Midway with Charlton Heston, it was a good story and they used a lot of WWII movie cuts for the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.