Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Thursday, November 29, 2012

largest Flying Billboard

I am awaiting the release of "The Hobbit" on December 14th, I enjoyed "the Rings" trilogy immensely and the same people that worked "rings" are doing this movie.  I read J.R.R. Tolkien when I was in the 6th grade, my Dad had gotten me the "hobbit" and the Rings Trilogy.  It opened a new world for me that I still enjoy today.  I read "Fantasy" books and played A.D&D and other games.  We even played this in the field and when we were deployed.  Especially when we were waiting to return to the world after the end of hostilities.  it kept our minds occupied.  I havn't played it in many years but I still like the genre. 

   I got this stuff off "Aviation Week"


Air New Zealand is getting some major mileage – literally – from what is believed to be the largest-ever graphic to be applied to an aircraft. The airline on Nov. 23 unveiled a Boeing 777-300ER with a full-length image advertising the soon-to-be-released movie adaptation of Tolkien classic The Hobbit. The 777 has already flown on Air NZ’s Auckland-Los Angeles-London route, and will be returning with cast members who will be attending the world premiere of The Hobbit in Wellington on Nov. 28. The airline has promised that the flying billboard will “make a brief spectacular appearance” at the red-carpet event. (Photo from Air New Zealand)

The graphic was applied at Air New Zealand’s Technical Operations base in Auckland. It took six days to complete the 830-square-meter image. Air New Zealand says it will launch a second flying billboard next year using another of its long haul aircraft, marking the planned release of the second movie in the Hobbit trilogy. Below is a time-lapse video showing the application process on the first aircraft, and the launch event (video from Air New Zealand).

Like the earlier Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Hobbit movies are expected to boost tourism to New Zealand. The films were shot in the country, and feature some of its most picturesque landscape. Air New Zealand is taking further advantage of the marketing tie-in by using a Hobbit-themed safety briefing video on its flights. It was filmed by the Academy Award-winning Weta Workshop, which was heavily involved in both the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films. The safety briefing video featured cast The Hobbit as well as its own crew members. The online version of the safety briefing video has received more than 10 million hits since its Nov. 1 release. The briefing can be viewed below.

This is a safety video, I found it interesting, As a person that works on 777 and other airplanes, I find this really creative.

1 comment:

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.