Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Sunday, August 4, 2013

Who are the heroes again....?

 I am working a lot of overtime during the summer push and sleep is an issue, so I am blogging light until the weekdays get here. 


I read this posting from Old NFO and it talked about heroes and the lionization of the WWII generation. and somehow it gave a pass to the next generation that was my Dads generation.  Here is a blurb:


What is a hero? My heroes are the young men who faced the issues of war and possible death, and then weighed those concerns against obligations to their country. Citizen-soldiers who interrupted their personal and professional lives at their most formative stage, in the timeless phrase of the Confederate Memorial in Arlington National Cemetery, “not for fame of reward, not for place or for rank, but in simple obedience to duty, as they understood it.” Who suffered loneliness, disease, and wounds with an often-contagious élan. And who deserve a far better place in history than that now offered them by the so-called spokesmen of our so-called generation.

     I remember my Dad coming home from his second tour and I was 7 years old in 1972.  The war was winding down.  I also remember my Dad watching the news intently on April 30 1975 when South Vietnam fell to the communist North.  I remember the disdain that he was treated in the 70's when he did wear his uniform off post by certain people.  I contrast that with the way we were treated in the first Gulf War when it was like some great crusade to free Kuwait.  I am happy that the American Public with few exceptions treat the GI's better and don't blame them if they do not agree with the war.  The Vietnam veterans were treated like crap from the peers of their generation and the same people that stayed in college and hid behind deferments and protested against the war and supported the Communist North and the Viet Cong.  Now they are professors and am poisoning the new generation of young people in college.  Now you don't go to college to get an education, you go to college to get indoctrinated in groupthink.  Again I say, go follow the Link and read the article. 

     

4 comments:

  1. Very great post! And get some sleep or some more coffee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, and I know how he felt.

    Sent from my iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Momma Fargo;
    Thank you and I drink a lot of coffee on the weekends, and hopefully catch up on the sleep in the weekdays. I just have to hang on until Labor day when the big summer push is over and the regular schedule is back.

    Hey Old NFO;
    You are welcome and I never forgot the feeling or the impact, that is why I have issues even today with anti-war protestors and their enablers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came home in 1968. It is my hope that GIs are never treated like that again. Vietnam vets started the Memorial Day Rolling Thunder rally in DC at The Wall and also Patriot Guard Riders. These were just a part of our effort to instill meaning into our brothers' lives and sacrifices.

    Never Forget.

    ReplyDelete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.