Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Friday, September 15, 2017

Friday Musings

Well my package that I had ordered 4 weeks ago finally came in....Yay!

I was excited, I have been having 1.5 AR pattern rifles for a while and I have been needing to go ahead and make 2 rifles.
I quickly put the lower where I wanted.  I toyed with the idea of putting the original buttstock back on the rifle,you can see the size difference from the A1 stock and the A2 stock.  I finally decided to keep the A2 stock because there is a big difference in the plastic used from the A1 and the A2, the A2 is far more durable and less likely to break.
I put my M60 sling back on the rifle like I used to have back when I was in the service.  I have a M203 sling attachment on the barrel on both of the rifles.  Now as my "new" rifle, I have a 3 point sling, but it don't work well so I have to find a new sling that will go with the rifle.   I look at the rifles and it dawned on me that there is like 40 years of technological improvements from the original rifle to the present.

    I also found a receipt when I had my .45 modified in Germany for the competition shooting I used to do.  The same 45 that got stolen back in 1992 when the thugs broke into my F150 to steal it along with the watch that my dad had given me that he had picked up in Vietnam on his second tour.
    I also have some Flight attendant humor that I had gotten from various means ...
 And this one was very good, I got a laugh out of it.

I will add this...I hate reCAPcha.....Just saying. 

4 comments:

  1. PSA also makes some nifty AR uppers and lowers in 9mm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like the A1 stock length, Brownell's is coming out with new retro furniture made from more modern materials at attractive prices compared to the vintage bits.

    That said, I think that the fragility of the old stocks has been overstated. Too many have survived to present day for them to be as fragile as they're reputed to be.

    I think what's going on is there's really five variations of the pre-A2 design. The retro-heads label them A through E. Types D and E are the most common and had Vietnam for durability testing. You can see the materials and dimensional changes as things progress from B through D.

    I suspect the reputation for being like glass comes from the Type C stock, which was very thin in spots the D has beefed up. The E comes with the storage compartment and is different materials and is constructed differently internally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angus;

      I just remember replacing rear stocks with the A1's we had until the A2 came online. That is what I was basing my experience on. And thank you for the stock lesson, I didn't know that there were 5 different versions of the A1 stocks.

      Delete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.