Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Friday, August 17, 2018

Went Garand Shooting

I finally found time to go shooting with the Garand I picked up from the CMP a month or more ago.

    I went to the range at the next town over, the nice range near where I lived was in bankruptcy proceedings.  I was asking the owner of the small range I was using if he knew anything,  Apparently the really nice high speed gun range was in trouble in the court system, the owners are involved with 102 counts of bankruptcy fraud, and theft of weapons "stolen" in two separate robberies that were believed to be "Inside jobs".  That is a shame, because ranges are hard to find, even in "Gun Friendly" Southern States.

     I decided to bring the M1 Garand and my 03A3 "Springfield", actually made by Remington.  I thought that it was ironic that both weapons were made in 1943.  The Garand made by Winchester and my 03 made by Remington.


   I got to the range and set up the rifles, I had some ammo I had already prepared
I used some ammo from Academy, it is 150 grain "Monarch" brand and I was told not to use any thing heavier than 150 grains because it will mess up the sequence of the "OPROD", which makes the Garand do its thing.
Well I was shooting the rifles at the range and really enjoying the fact that I had a Garand that worked and it shot well, the Garand digested the ammo without a hiccup and it was a real joy to shoot.
This pic was my taking a break for a moment and decided to shoot a pic of the rifles.
  I think it was more me than the rifle, I still was a bit nervous, the target were set up at 35 years, the farthest distance the range had.  I didn't change the sight settings of either rifle.  This was more familiarization than accuracy.  I will plan another trip and sight in the rifles.
    I was stoked to shoot the Garand finally and I should have bought more ammo.

6 comments:

  1. Always nice to 'ease' into it. And make damn sure you lube it correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. Shooting a Garand is always a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aaron;

      Yep, I enjoyed it immensely, now gotta find more ammo.

      Delete
  3. American Eagle, Federal, makes a 30-06 that is supposed to have a pressure curve that is at or close to the ammo that was in use when the Garand was designed. The part number is AE3006M1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tony;

      I will look for it next time I go to Academy. I was looking for 150 grains stuff and there wasn't much there when I looked except for "Tula" and I have had bad experience with "Tula".

      Delete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.