Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Friday, November 16, 2018

Tam test on a S&W Sigma?

Gun Blogger and  and assorted Gun Magazine contributor Tam and also my friend Mack both have taken older pistols from the 1990's and ran them through what I call the "Tam Test" to see how the pistols of yesteryear performed.  They use the 2000 round test and I am considering doing the same.

In 1994 S&W rolled out the original Sigmas, the SW40F and SW9F chambered in .40 S&W and 9mm Luger respectively. Both were full sized models denoted by the F. Both had black polymer frame and a dark blued slide. Both had "double stack" magazines with a capacity of 15 and 17 rounds respectively. The pistol was designed to compete with the Glock 17. It had the same grip angle as the Colt 1911A1, and was priced slightly above the Glock 17.

I own a S&W sigma .40. It has been my truck gun, you know the type...stays in the console except when I take it out to shoot it..very..occasionally,. know it is one of the early ones for the model number. It is a model "V", I got the pistol in the late 90's, and right after i got the pistol, the firing pin spring ( I remember it looking like a funny "J", i might be wrong...been 20 years), broke and I called S&W, this was before the internet and when I got the nice lady at customer service and told them my problem. I described the broke part and she commented " that is an old style part, let me see if we have any."....after a few minutes she came back and said" I have one...what is your address?", I told her and got the part in a week. That taught me a lesson about buying quality firearms. Well anyway I am considering doing the Tam challenge to the pistol and see how it performs.
The 10 round Post-ban magazine
I have 2 of those...
The next incarnation of the Sigma were models limited to 10 rounds due to the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. Smith & Wesson significantly dropped the price and changed the polymer frame color to light grey with matching slide. The model designation of these pistols were SW40V and SW9V, with V being equated with Value. Later, V models were introduced with black polymer frame and stainless steel slides.
At this same time Smith & Wesson introduced the SW40C and SW9C. This version of Sigma retained the black polymer frame and black slide of the original SW40F and SW9F. These models had the Double Action Only trigger. This was a feature marketed heavily to police departments especially those transitioning from revolver to semi-automatic pistol as the trigger pull was the same for each shot. Also the trigger pull was long and heavy similar to a double-action revolver which was believed to reduce the chance of inadvertently firing the pistol. This model was almost exclusively marketed to police departments. Used models can be found with standard capacity magazines even though most pistols produced during this period were restricted to 10 rounds. This is because police departments were exempt from the 10-round limit and after the provision had sunset, departments could legally sell both pistol and standard capacity magazine on the secondary market.
In 1999 Smith & Wesson introduced the VE series. These models were billed as "enhanced" and featured an improved grip, improved trigger, and enlarged ejection port. This model returned to the black coloration of the polymer frame mated with a stainless steel or black melonite slide. 1999 also saw the prototype SW40Ti built, the unique feature was a Titanium slide. The SW40Ti was never put into production.
At this time Smith & Wesson retired the 4.5 inch barrel and switched all Sigmas to the 4.0 inch barrel. Sigmas from this era onward are considered "2nd generation" Sigmas. Shortly after the introduction of the VE series, Smith & Wesson further improved it by adding an accessory rail but did not change the model number to reflect this update.
Sometime after 1999 Smith & Wesson introduced the SW40P and SW9P. These models were identical to the SW40VE and SW9VE but added porting to the barrel and slide, the purpose of which was to vent gases upwards to fight the muzzle flip associated with recoil.
In 2004 Smith & Wesson introduced the SW40GVE and SW9GVE. These models had a green polymer frame.
In 2011 Smith & Wesson reworked the Sigma design, dropped the Sigma name, and introduced a pistol as the SD series. This pistol has a redesigned trigger action and also has a front "night" sight. Magazines are interchangeable between the Sigma and SD series, although the baseplates are slightly different. This pistol was priced and marketed to sit between the traditional Sigma VE series and the Smith & Wesson M&P design.

    This is how the pistol normally rides inside my truck, in the holster that has a pouch for an extra magazine.  I got the holster many years ago.  It is one if those holsters that I don't wear but it keeps the pistol and extra magazine together in a neat package.

 I have 200 rounds of Speer Gold dot which I will not use, it is my "Go to the Mattresses" ammo but I have several hundred rounds of regular "Plink" ammo I can use to get started....Will plan a trip to the range next week.

2 comments:

  1. Be interested to see how that works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Sigma is late 2006 vintage I run aluminum fmj thru it CCI Blazer Independence and Federal aluminum 1600 rounds so far no problems. I have shot 10 rounds of brass and 10 rounds of steel just to see if it would run them It did

    ReplyDelete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.