Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Monday, July 8, 2019

Monday Music "Funkytown" by Lipps Inc.

I remember this song hitting the airways, and I thought it was Groovy, yes it was the tail end of Disco and it had a bit of Funk in it.  I thought it was a really good dancing song.  Even now when I hear it in my truck on my 80's channel I groove a bit when I am driving. 


"Funkytown" is a song by American disco act Lipps Inc. from their debut album Mouth to Mouth (1979). It was released as the album's lead single in 1980.
"Funkytown" reached the top spot in the United States, Germany, Canada, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, the Netherlands, and Australia, among many others.

 Written by musician, composer, and record producer Steven Greenberg and sung by Cynthia Johnson, the song expresses the singer's pining for a metaphorical place that will "keep me movin', keep me groovin' with some energy". Steven wrote the song while the band was living in Minneapolis with dreams of moving to New York.
 9:00 minutes
"Funkytown" entered the US Billboard Hot 100 on March 29, 1980 and spent four weeks at number one, from May 31 to June 21, 1980. It also hit the number one spot on the disco chart in 1980. It also reached no. 2 in the United Kingdom, and Sweden, as well as on the U.S. soul chart (it was held out of the top spot of the Billboard Soul Chart by "Let's Get Serious" by Jermaine Jackson for five weeks, from May 24 to June 21).The song was Lipps Inc's only American Top 40 hit.

2 comments:

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.