Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Monday Music "Still the One" by Orleans

I wanted to get my Monday Music in on Monday, but was unable to.  As soon as I got home from work, I immediately grabbed my son, his uniforms and the sewing machine and off to my Dad's house.  My son wanted to learn how to sew, he wanted to sew patches on his uniform.  We had bought a sewing machine with the intent for it to be used for patches and things of that nature.  Well he learned the fine art on how to sew using a machine from his grandmommie.  After quite a few birds nest and hay stacks, he started getting it. 
   He was determined to learn this skill.  he has done well.  His comment after practicing was.."Now I can open a sweatshop".  My son....the apple don't fall far from the tree let me tell you. 
    I had this song in mind, I remembered hearing this song while my Dad was stationed in Germany in 1976.  This was one of the good songs that I heard on A.F.N. late at night.  I always liked this song because it was soo upbeat and listening to a positive song is a good thing. 

I have this patch and sticker laying around somewhere...


"Still the One" is a song written by Johanna Hall and John Hall, and recorded by the soft rock group Orleans on their album Waking and Dreaming, released in 1976, which made it to No. 5 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Country singer Bill Anderson recorded and released a successful cover version, peaking at No. 11 on Billboard's Hot Country Singles chart in 1977.

The lyrics of the song are of a man describing his feelings for a woman with whom he has a long lasting and, of course, intimate relationship ("You're still the one, I want to talk to in bed; Still the one that turns my head") and all the reasons why she is "Still the One" for whom he has feelings.

Orleans bass player Lance Hoppen recalls that Johanna Hall wrote the lyrics for "Still the One" after a friend "asked her why somebody couldn't write a song about staying together, as opposed to breaking up"; Johanna Hall wrote the lyrics on an envelope which she then handed to John Hall who Hoppen says "created the music in about fifteen minutes". John Hall would recall that "Still the One" was not an automatic choice for lead single from Waking and Dreaming saying rather that "we had several songs that were candidates. We were too close to it to see. Fortunately, our producer, Chuck Plotkin, had a strong feeling about the song."

3 comments:

  1. Another one I actually remember! And hard to believe it was written that quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one I actually remember! And hard to believe it was written that quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your son cracks me up! Great song!

    ReplyDelete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.