Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Tuesday, August 18, 2026

"In Vietnam Could a Soldier Smell their enemy in the jungle?"

 

I had a couple of senior NCO's in my first unit"Big Red One", we had most of the division at Fort Riley and the rest of it forward deployed in Germany scattered over several Kasernes and barracks in the "VII Corp" area of responsibility in the 1980's.  They were serious about the smell thing and the leaving trash.  I had eaten an orange and chunked the peels out of the cargo hatch of the "Track", we were on maneuvers,   Well I fessed up when he asked about it, and he had me dig a grave for the peels and do a service for the peels and for the crew because my stupidity got everyone killed.  They were serious about the smell and trash thing, needless to say, the lesson stuck.  From what I saw, not everyone was serious about the trash and smell thing.





By RJ Holland

 

American soldiers smelled like their rations; meat and dairy products gave them a distinct and different body odor than local citizens.

 

Guns had the scent of oil, cleaner, and protectorant. Gear like packs had an army smell, as I called it: musty, dirty, sweaty canvas. I can still smell it now. Wet canvas smelled like misery, musty mildew and muck. Every combat US soldier would know that smell. So did the enemy.

 

North Vietnamese and Viet Cong fighters often reported that they could detect U.S. troops from a distance due to these odors.

 

Our TC would often say into our tank coms, “They’re here, they’re around, I can smell them.” I always felt those words chilling. Well, he couldn’t really smell them; he could feel it. They were close, and he was usually right. He was good at that. Usually the ones with that sixth sense were lucky; it kept them alive. They were the ones that usually, I say usually, made it home.

 

This post was taken from Quora.

 

Any more examples or disagreements?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.