Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Monday Music "She's a beauty" by the Tubes

I have been very busy this past weekend, I will post more details probably tomorrow if not Tomorrow, then Thursday for sure.  I should call this "Tuesday Music" as my luck has been that way.  but Monday seems to sing better.  Well anyway, I remembered this video making the circuits on MTV, and I liked it, probably something about the girls I am sure.  I haven't seen the video in a long time...until I pulled it up on youtube for this post....

"She's a Beauty" is a song by American rock band The Tubes. Released in 1983 on The Tubes' album Outside Inside from Capitol Records, the song became the band's biggest hit. It went to number 10 on the Billboard U.S. Hot 100 list, and number 1 on the Billboard U.S. Mainstream Rock Tracks list which charts the frequency of songs played on mainstream rock stations.

The popularity of "She's a Beauty" was largely driven by a narrative music video  that became a staple of then-fledgling MTV. This video was directed by Kenny Ortega, also the choreographer of The Tubes' stage shows. Ortega achieved greater success choreographing movies such as Dirty Dancing and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and as a director with High School Musical and its sequels.
In the video, The Tubes' lead singer Fee Waybill plays a carnival barker who extols a crowd with the virtues of a sideshow attraction:
Step right up and don't be shy
Because you will not believe your eyes
She's right here, behind the glass
And you're gonna like her
'Cause she's got class.
He takes money from a young boy who then rides a carnival car through hallucinogenic scenes of a mermaid, female trapeze artist, prehistoric women dressed in furs, and others. The recurring theme is that he is attracted but is unable to reach them. At the end of the video we see the boy exiting the ride aged to an old man, the message apparently being the financial and emotional cost of falling in love with but being unable to obtain his heart's desire.
The role of the young boy was the first acting job for 13-year-old Robert Arquette, who later became Alexis Arquette

1 comment:

  1. I was overseas most of 1983, so I missed this one completely...

    ReplyDelete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.