Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Thursday, August 16, 2018

Looking forward to shooting tomorrow :)

Quick note, I am going to the range in the morning,  The bullets are 150 grain, and that was what I was told will work well in the Garand.   I will post tomorrow on the results.


  I would go to the usual range that I go to near my house...the nice one...well they are in bankruptcy proceedings.  The range made money but they had several break ins and guns were stolen each time and one of the owners basically shanked the others so the nice range is closed.  I will be going to the one at the next town over, it is a bit farther away and not as nice, but I will see how it goes.

   
I finally put a couple of dog collars and sling for my mosin-nagant.  The rifle looks different, I an considering putting a folding bayonet on the rifle to further dress the rifle.  I haven't decided yet.

4 comments:

  1. I have read that these carbines sometimes shoot more accurately with the folding bayonet extended. Might be worth an experimenting with.
    I cleaned one up for my Vietnam vet friend,damn thing kicked like a mule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a M44 that is correct, the side folding sticker has to be deployed to fire accurately. The only people more knifey then the Soviets are the Japanese, who put bayonets on machine guns. This is a M38 and I don't have one so I can't say about the sticker and zero. Easily found out.

      Delete
    2. I was checking the mosin Nagant page and they had mentioned that the carbines shoot better with the bayonet extended. I bought the rifle in the mid 90's and fired it a few times. I ran into a guy at NRAAM that really worked the action on a Nagant and made it as smooth as a mauser. I will look the web page up for the company and see how they did it. I do remember the guy telling me that he soaked the bolt in acetone to get rid of all the cosmoline. especially since the cosmoline the Soviets used was made with by products of a lot of things.

      Delete
  2. My advice is that if you love the MoNa, get a Finnish Model 39. Your wife will have to accept that there is another woman in your life. Two things that I have seen in the 39s do, shoot low (change the front sight post or get a aftermarket rear sight that adjusts for that) and blow out primers. In that case, get the chamber checked and make sure that it isn't one of the versions that run a different bullet (.308 IIRC)but that is rarely a problem. http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM39.htm

    ReplyDelete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.