Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Were American Soldiers compassionate during the Vietnam War?

 I know that a American Soldiers got a bad rap during the Vietnam War, they got a bad rap after they came home from the war, usually from the media and the hippie scum.  Any movie in the 1970's through the mid 80's showed the Military in a poor light and it got old, I kept hearing the term "The American Army was full of Lt Calleys and they indiscriminately killed villagers from the media and democrats and hippies who hurled invectives and other things at the returning soldiers and treated the soldiers and veterans from that time like crap.  I know, I saw it happen to my dad in the late 70's, he wouldn't tell anybody and forbad us kids from telling anybody who and where he worked at.  And this was in Alabama.  GI's tend to have compassion for fallen foes, I know, I saw it when I was in, we demonstrated it to the Iraqi's we captured in the first Gulf War and we also treated civilians with respect, it is part of our way of war.  Not all countries follow this code, I believe it is something that is done by soldiers in western based societies.

    I got this from the "Cherieswriter" A Vietnam War Website

05 Mar 1966, Vietnam --- Pfc. John Stananback of East Paterson, N.J., carries a Viet Cong soldier on his back to a first aid station near Bau Bang, 30 miles north of Saigon, March 5, 1966. Soldiers of the U.S. 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry fought off a multi-battalion Viet Cong attack, and found this man left behind, bloodied, barefoot and unarmed. (AP Photo/Horst Faas) | Location: Bau Bang, VIETNA


Thank you for acknowledging our efforts [Viet Thuc Forum & Readers] to honor the young American soldiers who fought for the freedom of others [in Vietnam] and have shown the “humane and compassionate side” during their “tour of duty”.  War is not only a conflict justification, but also a situation to test our human values while at the edge of losing them… LuuNguyenDat, PhD

2 comments:

  1. American soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen are well known for their willingness to protect the locals. Sadly, the media refuses to acknowledge that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Old NFO;

      Yeah and it still sticks in my craw....

      Delete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.