Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"Born to be Wild..." Monday Music* and other things.....

I have had an eventful time...Not in a bad way...just busier than a 1 legged man in a butt kicking contest.  I finished my class that I had to take, then I had signed up for a "Basic Rider Course" for my motorcycle license that I wanted to get.  That took all weekend

On Saturday night, I went to a cub scout function despite having little sleep and kept falling asleep so I went home, woke up and went to a second day.
We practiced stops, accelerations, turns, how to do what is a "Press" to go into a faster turn, how to read a curve.  We practiced "S" curves how to do a double "U" turn inside a box, how to properly stop,  We drove all weekend and at the completion I took both the riding test and written test and passed both.
     Then I had work again*dang work anyway* and at work I downloaded "google Chrome" on one of the work computers...I will see if this solves my posting problems.

     As part of my *delayed "monday Music" I decided to go with "Steppenwolf...Born to be wild"

"Born to Be Wild" is a rock song first performed by the band Steppenwolf, written by Mars Bonfire. It is often used in popular culture to denote a biker appearance or attitude. It is sometimes described as the first heavy metal song, and the second verse lyric "heavy metal thunder" marks the first use of this term in rock music (although not as a description of a musical style). However, the claim may be false as bands such as Blue Cheer had recorded songs with a heavier rock sound while "Born to Be Wild" incorporated elements of classic rock music.

"Born to Be Wild" was written by Mars Bonfire (who also wrote several other songs for Steppenwolf) as a ballad. Writer Bonfire was previously a member of the Sparrows, the predecessor band to Steppenwolf, and his brother was Steppenwolf's drummer. Although he initially offered the song to other bands – The Human Expression, for one – "Born to Be Wild" was first recorded in 1967 by Steppenwolf in a sped-up and rearranged version, that the All Music Guide's Hal Horowitz described as "a roaring anthem of turbo-charged riff rock" and "a timeless radio classic as well as a slice of '60s revolt that at once defines Steppenwolf's sound and provided them with their shot at AM immortality."

"Born to Be Wild" was the band's third single off their 1968 debut album Steppenwolf and became their most successful single, reaching No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles charts. In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine placed "Born to Be Wild" at No. 129 on the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list. In 2009, it was named the 53rd best hard rock song of all time by VH1.




     The song was initially released in 1968, but it was subsequently included in many compilation albums and soundtracks. The first of these was the soundtrack for the movie Easy Rider, released in 1969. Unlike the album or single version, the song on this soundtrack is accompanied by the sounds of motorcycles as an introduction (another Steppenwolf song from their first album, "The Pusher", was also used in the film). When the movie was in production, "Born to Be Wild" was used simply as a placeholder, since Peter Fonda had wanted Crosby, Stills and Nash to do the movie's soundtrack. Eventually, it became clear that the song was well suited for the movie.

1 comment:

  1. Its a nice article and i love music. any one tell me free music sites for Rock music download

    ReplyDelete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.