I snagged this off Quora, I thought it was an interesting take. I recall reading in Albert Speer's book "Inside the 3rd Reich", the Architect and his team had created the future capital of the greater German empire after Hitler had completed his dream of conquest, Berlin would have been renamed "Germania" as I recall and there was a huge model of the capital that Hitler would frequently visit before the demands of the war took all of his time. Albert Speer was eventually named "Armaments Minister" and streamlined the fragmented German economy and turned it into a wartime economy which should have been done a lot sooner than it was, and he mentioned it in his book, I read that book when I was sixteen, I snagged it from my Dad, and I still have it.
This was the vision of Berlin presented by Albert Speer, Hitler’s favorite architect. You would see a city of monumental architecture where order would be the rule of the day.
The population of the city would likely be like in the Gulf States today. That means that you would have 3 classes of people. First you would have Berlin citizens, all of which would be ethnic Germans or Austrians. The second class would be guest workers. They would be people from all over the world to do the kind of jobs that Berliners would shun: maids, janitors, construction workers, etc. Third you would have hoards of tourists, business visitors, diplomats, and foreign students who would be there temporarily.
Very likely you would have surveillance cameras on every street corner. Gestapo would be everywhere but they would wear civilian clothing and would likely keep a low profile. Jews and Gypsies would be extinct by now so the main job of the Gestapo would be to keep an eye out for any political dissidents.
Everywhere you would see signs advertising the glories of the Third Reich and urging citizens to behave orderly (don’t jaywalk, don’t litter, etc.). Berlin would probably be the wealthiest city in Europe because all the wealth of occupied countries would eventually flow there. You would have museums filled with art confiscated from other countries, grandiose monuments and statues interspersed throughout the city, and probably at least as many statues of Hitler as you had statues of Lenin in a large Soviet city during Soviet times.
Industry would probably be limited within the city to keep pollution down. Berlin would be a city of administrators, finance, art, and educational institutions. You might have industrial suburbs outside the city but more likely industry would be relegated to other German cities.
Well, that is my projection of Berlin in an alternate universe where Nazis won World War II.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.