Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday Music "Drive" by "The Cars" off their Greatest Hits

I had bought this album The Cars "Greatest Hits" on cassette, because such things like MP3 and pandora and other such things wasn't even thought of.  I had seen a "CD" player in AIT at Fort Devens where my roommate Mark had purchased one it was portable and cost $400 bucks through the PX there.  He had one album "Hunting High and Low" with the song "Take on me" by A-Ha".(I will do one on this one next week) but I digress.  Well anyway I had this cassette
player in my Mustang(I had orders to Germany and authorized to ship POV, well I being young and dumb, bought a Mustang and shipped her to Germany.  The insurance was more than my car note and I was car poor for a couple of years.) in Germany and I was stationed at Cooke Barracks by Geoppingen Germany.  It was in the Schwabish alps area of Germany.  Well when I wasn't deployed to the field, or patrolling the1 K zone between East and West Germany
(Yes this is one of my photo's, I should upload more of them since they depict a Germany and a time that is no longer there)

    I would go for a drive in the mountainous areas south of Geoppingen and in the direction of Schwabish Gmund and I really liked the curvy roads that that area had with the forest overhanging them so I would have this album and others blaring through the speakers. 

"Drive" is a 1984 song by The Cars, the third single from the band's Heartbeat City album released in March 1984 and their biggest international hit. It was written by Ric Ocasek and produced by Robert John "Mutt" Lange with the band. Lead vocals were sung by Cars bassist Benjamin Orr.
"Drive" was The Cars' highest charting single in the United States, peaking at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. On the Adult Contemporary chart, the song went to number one. It reached number five in the UK Singles Chart on its initial release; following its use at the Live Aid concert in 1985 as the background music to a montage of clips depicting the contemporaneous Ethiopian famine, the song was re-released and peaked at number four. It reached number four in West Germany and number six in Canada.
In a retrospective review of the single, AllMusic journalist Donald A. Guarisco praised the song for being "a gorgeous ballad that matches heartfelt songwriting to an alluring electronic soundscape. The music reflects the lyrical tone with a lovely melody that rises and falls in a soothing yet sad fashion."



 The music video was directed by actor Timothy Hutton and features model and actress Paulina Porizkova, who would later become Ric Ocasek's wife.

1 comment:

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.