Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Monday Music "Voices that Care" Assorted Artist

This will post on Tuesday, this is intential because Monday is Memorial day, I didn't think it was appropiate...
   Strange I know... 
 
I remember when that song came out, we had just kicked off the ground war and this song was making the rounds on
AFDN and I though it was interesting that we were being treated different than the Vietnam vets.  We were being 
treated like we were on some crusade and it did feel like it from all the support we had gotten from the American 
Public.   I have my copy of this song and video upstairs in my bonus room.  Unfortunately we got burned out by this 
 song and Lee Greenwood "Born to be an American".  They severely overplayed these songs during this time.  Even
now I still grit my teeth when "Born to be an American" comes on somewhere.  I haven't listened to voices that care
since I came back from the Gulf.    This was the last time that Hollywood supported the U.S. Military.  I am somewhat
cynical now ...I think it was the older ones working off their Vietnam guilt.   
 
 
"Voices That Care" is a 1991 song written by David Foster, Linda Thompson and Peter Cetera and recorded by a supergroup of popular musicians, entertainers and athletes. The group of people involved was also collectively known as Voices That Care and was shown as such on the single release and marketing materials. The single and supporting documentary music video were intended to help boost the morale of U.S. troops involved in Operation Desert Storm, as well as supporting the International Red Cross organization. The documentary, which followed the recording of the single to the music video's presentation to the troops in the Middle East, aired on Fox on February 28, 1991, coincidentally the day fighting in Desert Storm ended.


"Voices That Care" reached number 11 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 6 on the Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks. Warren Wiebe, a friend of Foster and little-known vocalist at the time who recorded the demo of the song, was invited by Foster to sing lead and deliver the last solo lines of the song. Wiebe died on October 25, 1998 (aged 45). The music video was directed by Jim Yukich (who, three years later, helmed the movie Double Dragon) and produced by Paul Flattery for FYI (Flattery Yukich Inc.)

Lead vocalists

The following is the order of appearance in the song:

In the music video, footage is shown of Ahmad Rashād, Clyde Drexler, Dominique Wilkins, David Robinson, Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson singing the song on a basketball court, but they are not present at the actual choir session. Wayne Gretzky is also seen in a brief clip.

The band

  • Keyboards: David Foster
  • Synclavier programming: Simon Franglen
  • Acoustic guitar: Dean Parks
  • Guitar solo: Mark Knopfler
  • Saxophone solo: Kenny G
  • Background vocals: Brian Adler, Morgan Ames, Lois Blaisch, Joy Burnworth, Kenny Cetera, Barry Coffing, Marshall Connors, Laura Creamer, Randy Crenshaw, Lorraine Feather, Tim Feehan, Roger Freeland, David Freeman, Robin Hild, Peter Hix, Jeannie Jackson, Linda Jackson, Liz Jackson, Angie Jaree, David Joyce, Gael MacGregor


 

2 comments:

  1. Wierd. I don't recall ever hearing this song, or hearing about it until now. And not only was I an avid radio listener back in the day, I was working in radio at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember it either... "Our" unofficial song from the Vietnam era was Tie a Yellow Ribbon.

    ReplyDelete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.