Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Monday Music..."Hello Muddah...Hello Faddah" A song from Camp

I have been busier than Obama administration dodging scandals and the blow-back from the disastrous roll out of Obunglercare

.  Boy scouts has seemed to have taken a life of its own, between that, my son being in the reading bowl, being in the Beta club and the running club...All I seem to be is a shuttle service.  I don't mind it but I am busy.
     We went camping this weekend, and my sons troop scored highest on the camp activities and inspections.  They got the Presidents award
Which means that they will "host" the fall camporee Next year.....I am hearing stuff like Catapults and Trebuchet mentioned.....He also got his "toten'chip  which allows him to use various tools to cut wood from "dead" trees.....Live ones are strictly verboten.
I am very proud of my son and the other boys that had a good time.

     I am still working on my veterans post....with the problems that I am having, I may just put that one on the back burner until life slows down.....I checked my schedule....I have NOTHING going on this weekend.   So after running wide open since August....I have a weekend FREE!!!!
     I decided to go with a song that I used to listen to on my "funny bones favorites" on my Ronco records.   It is called "Hello Muddah...Hello Faddah...."  A song about camp.   I sang a few bars during the camporee and everybody recognized it and had a good laugh.
     Yes I know it is Tuesday...Not Monday....But if the President can change his ACA law to fit the circumstance...I can post a day later.
   

"Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh (A Letter from Camp)" is a Grammy Award-winning novelty song by Allan Sherman and Lou Busch, based on letters of complaint Allan received from his son Robert while Robert attended Camp Champlain in Westport, New York. The song is a parody that complains about the fictional "Camp Granada" and is set to the tune of Amilcare Ponchielli's "Dance of the Hours". The name derives from the first lines:
Hello Muddah,
Hello Fadduh.
Here I am at
Camp Granada.
Camp is very
entertaining.
And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining
.
The lyrics go on to describe unpleasant, dangerous, and tragic developments, such as fellow campers going missing or contracting deadly illnesses. He begs to be taken home, promising to behave and even let his aunt hug and kiss him. At the end, he notes that the rain has stopped and fun activities have begun, and asks his parents to "kindly disregard this letter".
After the song scored #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 list for three weeks beginning August 24, 1963, Sherman wrote a new 'back at Camp Granada' version, "Hello Mudduh, Hello Fadduh!" for a May 27, 1964 performance on the The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Sherman wrote a third version for, and acted in, a 1965 TV commercial for a board game about Camp Granada, a "real rotten camp".[3]
The song won a 1964 Grammy Award for comedy. The song has been played numerous times on the Dr. Demento Show and is featured on the Rhino Records compilation album, Dr. Demento 20th Anniversary Collection. Variations of the song include translations in Swedish ("Brev från kolonien" by Cornelis Vreeswijk), Finnish ("Terve mutsi, terve fatsi, tässä teidän ihmelapsi") and Norwegian, ("Brev fra leier'n" by Birgit Strøm). The Finnish version lyrics is included in Finnish Boy Scouts' songbook.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.