Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Short Post...well kinda...short anyway...

I will be doing a short post...

  I had ordered my gun socks from Amazon, got them for $7.00 apiece.. and got them in the mail last night..
 I was happy since I would not have to deal with "Sportsman guide" and break my self imposed ban.  Like I said, I and many other gun owners remembered how we were treated after Sandy Hook by them.  I understand that it was all business and I get that...but I also remembered a quote from the book "The GodFather" by Mario Puzo  "Sure you can say that it is all business and nothing is personal, but when it comes to business it is all personal."  When you have a business relationship with someone or a company, there is an equal exchange for goods and service, you develop a business relationship and there is a certain loyalty that goes into the business relationship and the loyalty is a 2 way street. 
     Well anyway my O3, My Mosin and 2 of my .22LR rifles are now happy.  They are all gunsocked, LOL.
     I was loaned a book by a friend of mine from work, it talks about the battle of Midway from the Japanese perspective....and it is a different point of view..
I knew from past books and other articles that I have read, the Japanese Army and the Japanese Navy really didn't get along....we talk about the Army/Navy rivalry  that the United States had...we still have it to a certain extent.  I remember reading in a book called "Prodigal Soldiers"
"Documenting the transformation of the U.S. military from Vietnam to the Gulf War, a history of a generation of officers examines changing ideas about war, ending the draft, reducing racial tensions, and integrating women into the ranks."

       Yep that book, I remembered buying a copy of the book in the late 90's and I was mesmerized because I lived through the story from my time in the service to going to the Gulf War.  I remember seeing how my Dad was treated after Vietnam and how the Military was portrayed as the "Bad guys" in all the movies and TV shows to the debacle of "Desert One".  The soldiers were afraid to wear their uniforms off post because how they would be treated.  To the time in the early 1980's when President Reagan showed unabashed pride in being an American and it filtered down.  From our first forays in Grenada in 1983, I remembered the commercials changing from "The Army wants to join you" to "Be all you can be" and the difference several years made as the United States Military transformed itself from the nightmare that Vietnam created to the force that crushed Saddam Hussain.
     But I digressed...I remembered reading about the group called "The Iron Majors" whose sole function was to make sure that their own service got all it could, even at the expense of the other service and the country..Well Japan had it far worse than we ever could.  In the book I read that the Japanese Military was focused on 2 foes, the Japanese Army focused on Russia and the Japanese Navy focused on the United States and the 2 worked at cross purpose to each other.  The Japanese Army was hungry for war, they have been fighting in China since 1937 but the Navy was far less interested in getting into a fight.  Their squabbles went all the way up to the imperial staff that advised the emperor Hirohito.  
     The book also explained that the attack in Pearl Harbor was an attack to keep the United Stated from interfering with the seizures of the Dutch East Indies and all their rich resources.  I already knew that from my other reads but it was interesting reading it from their perspective.  The book explained the Japanese philosophy of attack and defense and it is a very good read.  I am half way through the book and hope to have it done in a day or so...depending on what else is going on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.