Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Thursday, May 30, 2019

Gone to the Range

I wanted to go to the range last week and shoot the Henry and one of my revolvers, I took my son with me and we went to the High speed range near my house AM-CHAR and I was told that since I am not a police/first responder/retired military I can't shoot there, I guess my being a veteran didn't matter.  It really irritated me. especially since they let me shoot there in the past, so the refusal kinda smarted, Oh well.


High Speed Range located in my Hometown
  Nothing like pissing away 3/4 of your market.  They are a private business and they can serve who they want...

 Macks Place of Employment below...
Macks place of employment
     Well anyway my son wanted to visit Mack at his place of employment.  I like visiting Mack, besides being a good friend, he is a character and a half.

   Well after harassing Mack for a few minutes...well because I am that kind of guy we got our lane assignments after filling the required paperwork..
  I laid out the rifles and pistols...
The Garand, the Shield, the Henry .357( yes the brass is good, that is a trick of the light) the Enfield 303 and my "console gun" the S&W SIGMA. and gun socks laying all over the place.


   I also laid out some ammo....That is the last of my Blazer....Good Riddance...Not as bad as Tula but ok to plink with, I wouldn't bet the farm on it..if you know what I mean..
We started shooting the Henry....The Henry is .357/38, but let me tell you...it don't like .38 Special, the case length.
  We Started with the Henry but like I said, it don't like .38 Special, but that is all I brought, but luckily Mack came to the rescue with a "found" box of .357 Fiocci that was half full.  The Henry ran through the .357 flawlessly....Thanks Mack, and I am so glad that I had sent the Henry back to the factory to be repaired  several months ago. 
  I then set up the Garand, I brought 1 box of Monarch 150 grain 30-06 ammo for the Garand..
I only had one box, so I fired up one clip and my son fired up the other clip.  This is the first time he fired the Garand,  The rifle fired flawlessly also, I still am tickled that my Garand works well, especially after the misadventures of my first Garand, you can follow the link for my adventures with the rifle type.

    I then brought  up the 303 Enfield, It is one of my old rifles that I bought back in the mid 90's for $80 from an outfit called "Roses" a store in Griffin.   My son commented about the strange sight that the Enfield had, but the rifle is noted for accuracy and if Tommy could raise hell with the Hun in WWI with it, and mess with "Jerry" and the "bloody Nips" in WWII, the rifle is not a slouch.  I have blogged in the past about the Enfield including mine.
    We then brought up the Pistols...I immediately removed the "Go to the Mattresses "ammo so it wouldn't get fired by "accident". 

Like I said, I laid out the ammo to shoot the Sigma and the Shield, both are .40 S&W

We started shooting the pistols..
    and shooting the pistols, I brought quite a bit of .40 S&W to shoot.  And of course Blazer performed as expected.....

  Bad primers and failures to feed or cycle...happened with the blazer ammo several times...the Remington fired good, no hangups, hic-cups or funny stuff.

    It was a good time and of course I am appreciative of Mack and his place of employment for giving us a nice shooting experience in a laid back atmosphere.
    On a different note,   I won a prize at work last week, it was "AMT" day on Thursday at my place of employment.  "AMT" day celebrates the birthday of Charles Taylor, the mechanic that worked on the Wright Flyer for the Wright Brothers.  Well at my employer, they go big with vendors, food and other things.  I didn't attend this year because I spent all day Wednesday doing "Honor Guard" stuff and  did want to spend another "Off day" at work.
    Well anyway I won a prize..
Stinger HL Headlight...Very nice :) and totally unexpected.

1 comment:

  1. Re the range, sounds like it will be up for sale shortly... Good times with Mack and shooting is all good!

    ReplyDelete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.