Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Thursday, May 20, 2021

Technical Difficulties

 Yeah.....you guessed it, ,puter is down, I have been too busy to really deal with it.  This post is done on my kinda smart phone.  My son graduated High School this week so I can retire the tazer, lol


 I had purchased a rifle, a old Mauser and the wood was really dried out , after conferring with ancient gun guru and purveyor of other knowledge  ,  he told me to use " linseed oil" and work it into the wood.  Which I did, I wound up working 2 coats because it still looked "patchy" after the first coat.  Well after the 2nd coat, the rifle looked much better.   But the linseed oil raised the grain of the wood, I was "suggested " to wait a few weeks then hit it with some "scotchbrite" pads  to smooth it out, then oil it again.   I had shown the rifle to our favorite "Merchant of Death"   He liked the rifle and was impressed.  


 This is the first time I tried to really do a blogpost on my kinda smart phone.  I hope I got the URL correct  on the links. I will test it later, lol

8 comments:

  1. The Rifle looks good. Old NFO's link was good. Not sure who merchant of death is, but I got a security error when I clicked on it. I wouldn't have even tried to post via my cell phone, so good on ya' Mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Juvat

      The Merchant of Death is the name for Mack, a mutual friend that is a really good friend of mine and Old NFO. he lives in my area and has his own blog that he occasionally post at. The name is a tongue in cheek reference to him.

      Delete
    2. I'm his local merchant of death. For some reason a couple days ago everyone was getting flagged on Blogger. I mean everyone.

      Delete
    3. Hey Mack;

      Glad you dropped by, I saw the hit, I guess when I got hit a couple of weeks ago, it was a trial run. then they expanded the net.

      Delete
  2. I like 220 grit better than scotchpad. A slightly worn 220 grit paper is even better.

    For finish, I use what my Swedish granpappy taught; 1/3rd each, boiled linseed, turpentine, beeswax. *turpentine, never paint thinner. However, this concoction imparts a a beautiful lustrous sheen, which you may not want for the rifle furniture. You could knock down the sheen after a few days using fine grit sandpaper, like 400 grit or finer. This mix also gets deep into the wood and is long lasting, like decades long lasting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rick;

      Thank you for the recipe mix:) I will try it. I will add a luster to the stock, my other rifles have a lustrous shine of a well cared rifles, I keep getting offers from people wanting to buy my battle rifles because they are "unmolested" and original and apparently finding unmolested rifles are getting pretty hard.

      Delete
  3. What's the square hole in the stock for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fred,

      That is where they run the sling through.

      Delete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.