Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday Music.......Manic Monday

The sound is kinda appropriate since it has Monday in it and I am featuring it as part of my Monday Music.  I remember this song hit MTV real hard in early in 1986 while I was at A.I.T at Fort Devens., and we would watch this song on TV while waiting to form up in formation to march to class about a mile away.   Even now I don't know about most people but i associate music with where I was when I first heard the song.  To me I associate it with Fort Devens, most of the memories were not good in the beginning but the place introduced me to Boston, and I loved going to Boston and following in the footsteps of major historical figures and I actually drank a beer at the Bullfinch Pub off Boston Commons where they got the idea for "Cheers".   I hated Massachusetts but I loved Boston.  Well anyway, here is Manic Monday.

    
"Manic Monday" is a song by the American pop rock band The Bangles, and the first single released from their second studio album Different Light (1986). It was written by Prince, using the pseudonym "Christopher". Originally intended for the group Apollonia 6 in 1984, he offered the song to The Bangles two years later. Lyrically it describes a woman who is waking up on Monday, wishing it was still Sunday.
Released to generally positive reviews from music critics and some comparisons with The Mamas & the Papas' "Monday, Monday", it was the band's first hit, reaching number two in the United States and the United Kingdom, as well as in Austria, Canada, Germany and Ireland, and within top five in New Zealand, Norway and Switzerland. It was later certified silver in the UK by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI). The song was covered by several artists in 2005 and 2006.

Hero takes a fall

Prince wrote "Manic Monday" in 1984, and recorded it as a duet for the band Apollonia 6's self-titled album; however, he eventually pulled the song. Two years later, he offered the single to The Bangles under the pseudonym "Christopher", a character he played in the 1986 film Under the Cherry Moon. It was rumored by various writers that after Prince listened to the band's 1984 debut album All Over the Place, he gave the song to Bangles lead singer Susanna Hoffs, so that in return she would sleep with him.
Peterson explained in an interview with MTV UK in 1989 about why Prince gave them the song: "[Prince] really liked our first album. He liked the song 'Hero Takes a Fall', which is a great compliment, because we liked his music. He contacted us, and said, 'I've got a couple of songs for you. I'd like to know if you're interested,' and of course we were. One of the songs Prince brought to the group was 'Manic Monday', written under the pseudonym of Christopher." Peterson talked about the evolution of what Prince brought them: "It was a Banglefication of a Prince arrangement. He had a demo, that was very specifically him. It was a good song, but we didn't record it like 'This is our first hit single! Oh my God! I can feel it in my veins!' We just did the song, and the album, and then sat back and thought about it."
A pop song written in D Major, "Manic Monday" moves at a tempo of 116 beats per minute and is set in common time. The song has a sequence of G–A7–D–G–A7–D as its chord progression.Lyrically, the song is about someone waking up from a romantic dream at six o'clock on Monday morning, and facing a hectic journey to work when she would prefer to still be enjoying relaxing on Sunday—her "I-don't-have-to-run day".Actor Rudolph Valentino is referred in the introduction.

    I also added a song from ther later album that I liked a lot.  Eternal Flame


     
"Eternal Flame" is a ballad and love song by The Bangles from their 1988 album Everything. It became a hit single, when released in 1989, peaking at number one in the charts in nine countries, including Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States. It was written by popular songwriters Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly and The Bangles' own Susanna Hoffs. With this song and "Walk Like an Egyptian", The Bangles became only the third girl group to score multiple number-ones in the United States, after The Supremes (twelve) and The Shirelles (two).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.