Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Monday, March 26, 2018

Monday Music "If I could Turn back Time" by Cher

 Just a funny note, I happen to be checking the stats and I have crossed over the 1 million views,  something like 1.13 million views since 2011 when I started blogging to avoid getting screwed on Facebook or some of the other social media because I am very careful about my employer and don't want to get burned by some SJW on a mission because I said something that went against the grouphivething that is prevalent today.  I am honored that people come over to my little corner of the internet to read my various brain squeezings, rants, musings and other squirrel moments.  I am truly humbled.    And this is where I choose to talk, vent, post things that I really like and interest me and most social media operates on 10 second soundbites where blogging can give me pages to talk, vent, muse, discuss and whatever I want.  Well Monday Music is the one regular feature of my blog, I have something like 293 post on Monday Music.  I do bounce around from historical post which I like, to politics and 2nd amendment issues or sometimes just to talk about what I am thinking about.   I have no intent of giving up blogging for it gives me an outlet. 

I remember when this song hit the airwaves, I was stationed in Germany and on maneuvers when this song came on AFN on the top 40 countdown and I heard it was Cher and I was thinking "Wow", this is a pretty neat song.  I remember Cher from the Sonny and Cher show and her song "Gypsies, Tramp and Thieves", and some other songs in the 1970's that my Dad liked to listen to and I also did on the radio.  I was stunned later on when I was at the PX at Robinson Barracks in Germany and saw the video on MTV Europe.  I was thinking "Damm, for an older women, she looked real good.  You gotta keep in mind, I was in my early to mid 20's back then and if a women that looked like that came on to me, I would definitely consider it.  I remember reading something a few years ago about Cher, if there was a nuclear war and the only things that would survive is cockroaches and Cher.  That women has survived where many others have faded away, she has remained relevant for a career that spanned decades, that is no mean feat considering how fickle the music scene is. 


"If I Could Turn Back Time" is a song recorded by American singer and actress Cher. Written by Diane Warren and co-produced along with Guy Roche, the pop rock track was included on Cher's nineteenth album, Heart of Stone (1989). The song was released July 1989 as the second North American and first European single release from the album. The song also appears on the greatest hits compilations The Greatest Hits (1999) and The Very Best of Cher (2003). In 1989, it was certified Gold by the RIAA for the sales of 500,000 copies. Sales haven't been updated since. In November 2011, Billboard reported the digital sales of "If I Could Turn Back Time" to be 394,000 in the US.
Highly successful around the globe, "If I Could Turn Back Time" was seen as a major comeback for Cher in the late 1980s. It charted at number one in Australia and Norway, and reached number three in the United States and number six in the United Kingdom, respectively. It also became Cher's second consecutive solo number one hit on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart. Gary Hill of Allmusic retrospectively wrote that the song "has a crunchy texture to it, albeit in a poppy, '80s Starship sort of arrangement."



The music video for "If I Could Turn Back Time", directed by Marty Callner, takes place on board the battleship USS Missouri. It depicts Cher and her band performing a concert for the ship's crew. The video was filmed in Los Angeles on July 1, 1989, while the ship was stationed at the former Long Beach Naval Shipyard at Pier D. In the video, the band plays on the foredeck, and the ship is rigged with spotlights, light racks and strobes. Cher's son, Elijah Blue Allman, only twelve at the time, appears as one of the band's guitarists (he wears dark glasses and a Jimi Hendrix T-shirt).
Cher's outfit for the original video, a fishnet body stocking under a black one-piece bathing suit that left most of her buttocks and flanks exposed, proved very controversial, and many television networks refused to show the video. MTV first banned the video, and later played it only after 9 PM. A second version of the video was made, including new scenes and less overtly sexual content than the original. The outfit and sexual nature of the video were not expected by the US Navy when they had originally granted permission for filming. The USS Missouri liaison, Steve Honda, asked Callner to prevent Cher from wearing the outfit when he saw it on-set, but Callner refused. The Navy also received criticism for the video, and has since refused to allow any music videos to be filmed aboard its ships.
In 2003, Cher released her Living Proof: Farewell Tour concert on DVD which included an official "If I Could Turn Back Time" remix video

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the traffic milestone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Borepatch;

      Thank you, I am truly humbled that people come over here and read what I write.

      Delete
  2. Heh, the Navy learned about music videos on its ships after getting burned here and also by The Village People. Word was the PAO who let The Village People aboard a frigate for In The Navy's video didn't know what rep the band had. I bet he heard about it after the video came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Thomas;

      I did a monday music a bit back on the village people and the song "In the Navy", and there was some blowback on the video, but it was pretty much well received, and the Navy used it as a recruiting tool, and back then the Navy was looking for bodies because the recruiting for all the services back then were abysmal.

      Delete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.