Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Monday, November 3, 2014

Monday Music Michael McDonald "No Looking Back"

I was thinking of several songs for today's installment of "Monday Music"  From Toni Basil "Mickey" to J Giles band " angel is a centerfold" but I thought of a good easy listening song and this one just kinda leapted out of the cerebral cortex.....scary ain't it;   But I digress....You know the Touretts kicks in.

I decided to go with Michael McDonald, formerly of the Doobie Brothers, I still have all their albums on CD, I replaced then in the 80's at the PX....I wore the vinyl records out.  Well Anyway I went with Michael McDonald, I as many of you who check out my little corner of the internet know that I was stationed in Germany for 5 years.  Well I went over there in 1986, and I had PCS(Permanent change of Station) orders...they had "Authorized to ship POV(Privately owned Vehicle).  SO I did what every red blooded American trooper would do....I bought a Mustang.   And shipped her over to Germany.  That was fun.....Expensive but fun.   Insurance is a lot more expensive there...they base your rate on the liters of your engine......Yep  very expensive indeed.  But I loved cruising the Autobahns.  This song was to me an excellent driving song.   it was not so much a clubbing song...but a good driving song....something to compliment your scenery as it zips by your window.

     The song came out in 1985 and it got re released in 1986 with the song "Sweet Freedom" attached it it.  I missed it the first time around and caught it the second time.  I am glad that I did for it is a good song and I think it got a bit of a short shrift from the public.  it is one of my favorite songs....and yes I do have a few....
     
     Michael McDonald (born February 12, 1952) is an American singer and songwriter. McDonald is known for his soulful baritone and the richness of his voice in the higher registers. His early career included singing vocals with Steely Dan. His vocal work on the Steely Dan hit, 'I Got the News' was considered exemplary due to its complexity. He joined The Doobie Brothers in 1976 and remained an integral member of that classic band until 1982, a period which resulted in several hit songs for the band. He has won five Grammy Awards.


     McDonald was recruited by the band The Doobie Brothers in April 1975 when lead singer Tom Johnston became ill during a national tour. His time with the band proved so successful that they decided to retain him as a full-time member.
As a member of the Doobie Brothers he recorded some of the band's best-known songs such as "Real Love", "Takin' It to the Streets", "Little Darling", "It Keeps You Runnin'", "Minute by Minute", and "What a Fool Believes" (which became a number one single in the U.S. and earned him a 1980 Grammy Award for Song of the Year along with co-writer Kenny Loggins). At the same time he appeared as a session singer and piano player for artists such as Christopher CrossStephen BishopJack JonesBonnie Raitt, the rock band Toto and Kenny Loggins. McDonald co-wrote "You Belong to Me" with Carly Simon which appeared on the album Livin' on the Fault Line.

I don't have much information on the Music video....It looked to be a standard professional production of people But I think the blond in the beginning of the video is Denise Crosby from the Star Trek The Next Generation "Lt Yar".  I believe and the cute brunette in the pic, I have seen her somewhere also but I cannot recall. 
     

1 comment:

  1. Such great classics. Of course, the McDonald's songs came out my senior year and bring back memories. I loved The Doobie Brothers when I was little. I think they will always trigger my childhood memories. Music was a big deal to my dad.

    ReplyDelete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.