Webster

The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions." --American Statesman Daniel Webster (1782-1852)


Monday, September 2, 2013

Monday Music.."Twilight Zone"

I am trying to pull up some pics of my AR that I finished modding and were going to show on the blog, but the email program is not cooperating.  I will have to resend them I guess.   I then remembered that this is Monday and I needed to do my Monday Music.

I decided to go with Golden Earring with "Twilight Zone", I saw this video quite a few times as it had a lot of replay on MTV back in 1982/1983.  The video was catchy especially with the dancing interrogators that were babes wearing leather and what I call the "Dutch" biker hat.   The song is catchy and the video is neat.

    
"Twilight Zone" is a 1982 hit by the Dutch band Golden Earring. It was written by the band's guitarist George Kooymans, who got the inspiration from a book by Robert Ludlum, The Bourne Identity. "Twilight Zone" appears on their 1982 album Cut. It was the group's sole Top 10 Pop single on the US Billboard Hot 100 and hit #1 on the Billboard Top Album Tracks chart, the band's only #1 hit in America.
The spoken lines in the introduction and first verse (ending with "the gun is still warm") are performed by Kooymans, while Barry Hay sings the lead vocal part throughout.

The music video, directed by Dick Maas, features a storyline with lead singer Barry Hay as an espionage agent who is inevitably apprehended by three henchmen (played by the other members of the band).
The music video was one of the first to feature a cinematic storyline and dance choreography and was a hit on the fledgeling MTV network, helping the song to become the second international hit for the band. Golden Earring followed the success with an extensive tour of the USA, Canada and Europe. MTV commissioned the band to shoot a movie of the final 'homecoming' concert of the tour in the Netherlands. The concert film, also directed by Dick Maas, included a brief introductory segment which was a parody of the TV series The Twilight Zone. The concert was released in 1984 as Live from The Twilight Zone, aired on MTV and published as video and DVD. To date this concert is regarded as one of the best live shows of the band.
The Cut album cover's iconic image of the jack of diamonds playing card being shredded by a bullet is used in the video and represents the life of the rogue agent.
The original version of the "Twilight Zone" video was censored by MTV because of a shot of a topless female "hitman" in a hotel room.

2 comments:

  1. I honestly don't remember ever seeing that one, but it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't remember ever seeing that one, but it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete

I had to change the comment format on this blog due to spammers, I will open it back up again in a bit.